Ike Kang, Ph.D.
Office: Bldg 10, Rm 132
Phone: (805) 756-6103
• B.S. Animal Science – Kon-Kuk University, Seoul, Korea
• M.S. Animal Science – California State University, Fresno, CA
• Ph.D. Food Science & Technology - Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Teaching/Area of Discipline:
• Meat Science and Processing courses
Dr. Kang’s research focuses on developing meat processing that adds value to fresh and processed meat products. Current research topics include development of cold-batter mincing technology, subzero-saline chilling of animal carcasses, and conversion of food wastes to value-added ingredients. Dr. Kang teaches several courses such as Meat Science, Processed Meat Products, Poultry Meat Production and Processing, Sausage Enterprise, and Meat Industry Study Tour. Prior to joining Cal Poly, Dr. Kang was an Assistant Professor and Associate Principal Technologist at Michigan State University and Oscar Mayer/Kraft Foods, respectively.
Awards and Honors:
2020 New Scholar Award at Cal Poly.
2019 National Chicken Council Broiler Research Award at PSA.
2018 National Turkey Federation Research Award at PSA.
2007 ABCD AWARD at Oscar Mayer/Kraft Foods.
2006 BE MY GUEST AWARD at Oscar Mayer/Kraft Foods.
2006/2003/2002 SPARK AWARD at Oscar Mayer/Kraft Foods.
- Viliani, D., M. M. Metheny, H. C. Lee, D. Bennett, S. Hurley and I. Kang. 2020. Effect of sub-zero saline chilling on broiler chilling efficiency, meat quality, and microbial safety. Poultry Sci. 99:5158-5162.
- Lee, H. C., M. Wonderly, S. Pokharel, G. M. Strasburg, B. P. Marks, and I. Kang. 2020. Cold-batter mincing of hot-boned and crust-freeze-air-chilled ham muscle reduced fat content in pork protein gels. Int. J. Food Sci and Tech. doi:10.1111/ijfs.14589
- Metheny, M. M., H. C. Lee, S. Viliani, D. Bennett, S. Hurley, and I. Kang. 2019. Improvement of chilling efficiency and product quality of broiler carcasses using sub-zero saline solutions. Poultry Sci. 98:4190-4195. Aug.
- Lee, H. C., P. Singh, G. Strasburg, B. P. Marks, and I. Kang. 2019. Comparison of meat quality and protein functionality after crust-freeze-air-chilling and cold-batter-mincing of hot-boned or chill-boned turkey fillets. Poultry Sci. 98:2299-2304.
- Sansawat, T., P. Singh, H. C. Lee, S. D. Ha, I. Kang, 2019. Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes in Deli-style Turkey Using Hop Acids, Organic Acids, and their combinations. Poultry Sci. 98:1539-1544. Feb
- Sansawat, T., P. Singh, H.C. Lee, M.F. Silva, and I. Kang. 2018. Antilisterial effects of hop alpha and beta acids in turkey slurry at 7 and 37oC. Poult. Sci. 97:2207-2201.
- Park, S. Y., S. Jung, I. Kang, and S. Ha. 2018. Application of calcium oxide (CaO, heated scallop-shell powder) for the reduction of Listeria monocytogenes biofilms on egg shell surfaces. Poultry Sci. 97:1681-1688.
- Mizan, F., B. Ashrafudaulla, M, Sadekuzzaman, I. Kang, H. Sang. 2018. Effects of NaCl, Glucose, and their combinations on Biofilm Formation on Black Tiger Shrimp (Penaeus monodon) Surfaces by Vibrio parahaemolyticus. Food Control. 89:203-209.
- Jung, S., H. Kim, S. Y. Park, I. Kang, J. Park, J. Lee, C. Kim, M. Chung, S. Ha. 2017. Bactericidal Effect of Calcium Oxide (Scallop-shell powder) Against Pseudomonas aeruginosa Biofilm on Quail Egg Shell, Stainless steel, Plastic and Rubber. J. Food Science 82:1682-1687.
- Singh, P., H. C. Lee, M. F. Silva, K. B. Chin and I. Kang. 2017. Trisodium phosphate dip, hot water dip, and combination dip with/without brushing on broiler carcasses decontamination. Food Control. 77:199-209.
- Singh, P., M. F. Silva, E. T. Ryser, S. D. Ha and I. Kang. 2017. Recovery of associated and internalized Salmonella in broiler skin by stomaching and grinding. Food Control. 73:883-888
- Lee, H.C., H. S. Jang, I. Kang, and K.B. Chin. 2017. Effect of red bean protein isolate and salt levels on pork myofibrillar protein gels mediated by microbial transglutaminase. Int. J. Food Sci and Tech. 76:95-100.
- Lee, H. C., M.A. Erasmus, J. C. Swanson. H. G. Hong and I. Kang. 2016. Improvement of turkey breast meat quality and cooked gel functionality using hot-boning, quarter sectioning, crust-freeze-air-chilling and cold-batter-mincing technologies. Poult. Sci. 95:138-143.
- Sansawat T., Lee HC, Zhang L, Ryser ET. and I. Kang. 2016. Antilisterial effects of different hop acids in combination with potassium acetate and potassium diacetate at 7 and 37oC. Food Control. 59:256-261.
- Adzaly, N. Z., A. Jackson, R. Villalobos-Carvajal, I. Kang and E, Almenar. 2016. Performance of a novel casing made of chitosan under traditional sausage manufacturing conditions. Meat Sci. 113:116-123.
- Erasmus, M.A., H.C. Lee, I. Kang, and J. C. Swanson. 2015. Fear response and postmortem muscle characteristics in turkeys of two genetic lines. 2015. Poult. Sci. 94:2018-2026.
- Singh P., H.C. Lee, K.B. Chin, S. D. Ha and I. Kang. 2015. Quantification of loosely- and tightly-associated bacteria on broiler carcass skin using swabbing, stomaching and grinding methods. Poult. Sci. 94:3034-3039.
- Adzaly NZ, Jackson A, Villalobos-Carvajal R, Kang I, and Almenar E. 2015. “Development of a novel sausage casing” J. Food Engineering. 152:24-31.
- Kang I. 2014. Improvement of food quality and safety using new processing and intervention techniques. Austin J. Nutri. Metab. 1:2.
- Lee HC, Medellin-Lopez M, Singh P, Sansawat T, Chin KB, and Kang I. 2014. Cold-batter mincing of hot-boned and crust-freezing and air-chilled turkey allows for reduced sodium content in protein gels. Poult. Sci. 93:2327-2336.
- Sansawat T, Lee HC, Pranjal S, Kim H, and Kang I. 2014. Combination of muscle tension and crust-freezing air-chilling improved chilling efficacy and breast quality of broiler carcasses. Poult. Sci. 93:2314-2319.
- Lee HC, Kang I, and Chin KB. 2014. Effect of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] protein isolates on the microbial transglutaminase-mediated porcine myofibrillar protein gels at various salt concentrations. 2014. Int. J. Food Sci. Tech. 49:2013-2029.
- Medellin-Lopez M, Sansawat T, Strasburg G, Marks BP, and Kang I. 2014. Cold-batter mincing of hot-boned and crust-freezing air-chilled turkey breast improved meat turnover time and product quality. Poult. Sci. 93:711-718.
- Lee NY, Jahid IK, Srey S, Park SY, Kang I. and Ha SD. 2014. The evaluation of combined chemical and physical treatments on the reduction of resident microorganisms and Salmonella Typhimurium attached to chicken skin Poult. Sci. 93:208-215.
- Oh SR, Kang I, and Ha SD. 2014. Inhibitory effect of chlorine and ultraviolet radiation on growth of Listeria monocytogenes in chicken breast and development of predictive growth models Poult. Sci. 93:200-207.
- Sansawat T, Zhang L, Jeong JY, Xu Y, Hessell GW, Ryser ET, Harte J, Tempelman R, and Kang I. 2013. Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes in Full- and Low-sodium Frankfurters at 4, 7, or 10ºC Using Spray-dried Mixtures of Organic Acid Salts. J. Food Prot. 76:1557-1567.
- Zhang L, Jeong JY, Janardhanan K.K, Ryser ET, and Kang I. 2011. Microbiological Quality of Water-Immersion and Air-Chilled Broilers. J. Food Prot. 74:1531-1535
- Jeong JY, Janardhanan KK, Booren AM, Harte JB, and Kang I. 2011. Breast meat quality and consumer sensory properties of broiler carcasses chilled by water, air, or evaporative air. Poult. Sci. 90:694-700.