Phillip S. Tong, Ph.D.
Director and Professor, Dairy Products Technology Center
Office: Bldg 10 Rm 237
Phone: (805) 756-6102
Dr. Tong's industry experience was gained as Assistant Food Scientist at the Clorox Technical Center., Pleasanton, CA in 1979, and as Technical Brands Manager/Research Scientist in the Refrigerated Products Division, at the Kraft Technology Center, Glenview, IL in 1987 -1988.
Dr. Tong's current research interests are in three main areas: The first area is Bioseparation Processes, which includes design, performance, efficiency and applications of bioseparation processes to dairy food systems and processes (e.g., use of membrane technology to fractionate milk proteins, characterization of membranes by atomic force microscopy, membrane fouling and its relationship to flux decline). The second research interest of Dr. Tong is in Frozen Dessert Technology, including new ingredients, structure, and stability. The third area is in Dairy Chemistry and Technology, including: physcio-chemical properties of dairy systems, genetic variants of milk proteins and their relationship to cheese chemistry and technology, lowfat dairy foods, factors influencing quality of cottage cheese, physical properties of milkfat, influence of dairy farm practices on dairy foods composition and quality, use of dairy protein systems as fat substitutes.
Dr. Tong's teaching interests are in the chemistry and technology of dairy foods and related subjects, food engineering, new food product development, and short courses and symposia for the dairy foods industry.
- B.S. Food Science & Technology, University of California, Davis
- M.S. Food Science (minor - Agric. Economics), Cornell University
- Ph.D. Food Science (minor Chem. Eng., Ag. Econ.), Cornell University
- International Dairy Foods Association Research Award
- Editorial Board, Journal of Dairy Science, American Dairy Science Association
- Editorial Board, Cultured Dairy Products Journal
- Advisory Board, California Dairy Foods Research Center
- Member, Group of Experts, International Dairy Federation